Saturday, January 14, 2006

Zombies as social commentary

Okay, so remember last post where I said I'd look into the alternative possibility for zombie movie themes? Well, I found what I was looking for, as well as another great tie into the this month's theme.

The Silenced Majority: Colonization of the Mind and the Flesh Eating Zombie is a well thought out essay that explores zombie films as a reflection of society. He starts with the zombie films of yesteryear, which often focused on the voodoo zombies I mentioned last post, then he goes into what the Night of the Living Dead trilogy means, and it's place in social reform.

Do you think books or movies ever cause social upheaval? Do you think the trilogy (now a quadrilogy) inspires the masses, or is it just another Hollywood vehicle to keep the crowds in a somnolent trance? Read the article and tell us what you think.